Defer non-essential capital expenditures
Deferring capital expenditures is among the most common ways to conserve cash during economic crises. Cities typically defer low-priority capital projects to keep cash on hand and avoid harsher measures like laying off staff or reducing core services.
Some questions to guide your thinking
- What capital projects cannot be delayed?
- What capital projects can be halted or delayed?
- How does the city prioritize among capital projects?
- Which stakeholders should be contacted?
- What processes need to be followed to defer capital projects?
Managing capital spending
Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) 3 minutes read
This reading discusses a variety of strategies to manage capital expenditures. Since these projects tend to be high-cost items, even a modest reduction in spending can save a significant amount of money.